NorthStar Academy is a member school of the Network of International Christian Schools (NICS), and you may view all needed teacher positions for NorthStar Academy from the NICS web site.
The "successful online teacher profile," shown below, will help you determine if an online teacher position is a good fit for you. A good online teacher will be able to:
- Clearly communicate in an efficient yet full manner, such that opportunity for misunderstanding is minimized
- Create lessons and assignments which do not rely on further teacher explanation but which fully cover and teach the lesson in creative and inviting ways for subsequent independent learning
- Respond in a timely and effective manner to all student and parent e-mail
- Maintain composure and level-headedness upon reading an abusive or malicious e-mail from either students or parents, choosing not to respond immediately but rather to wait until emotions have cleared
- Work in geographic isolation from both students and fellow teachers
- Communicate regularly with fellow teachers for the sharing of ideas, professional development, etc.
- Embrace and learn the technology resources as the new tools of the trade
- Be a resource-based teacher and not a textbook-based teacher
- Create a sense of community and "belonging" within the virtual classroom(s)
- Move from a traditional teacher model to a mentor-tutor model